Could Santiago, Chile possibly be our first destination?
I think so!
Honestly, the idea of visiting Santiago never really entered my mind until this past month. I was in Clearwater, FL with Tony for a company retreat and we started talking about our travel ambitions to a co-worker, Chris. The first words out of his mouth were: “You MUST go to Santiago!” It was quite a bold reaction, so Tony and I knew this city was something worth looking into…and here is what we found:
- According to the NY Times, Santiago is the #1 place to visit – in the world – for 2011…As Charlie Sheen would say, Santiago is winning.
- Santiago is rumored to have extremely friendly natives and seems safe enough that even solo travel is recommended – Not something you hear too often in regards to travelling in South America. Luckily, I will be travelling with my partner in crime to this wonderful city!
- This place is stunning! Even though we are not planning to be “tourists” on our RTW adventure, I think a sightseeing day (and a photography day) in Santiago is definitely in order.
- There is plenty to do! Lonely Planet has us covered on all things tourist-related in Santiago.
- Santiago has fabulous food, culture, and nightlife.
- There is an abundance of cool places to dine all throughout Chile. Liz Caskey provides expert advice on all the hot spots for the foodies (Tony and I included!) and even provides an extensive PDF guide on wining and dining your way through the city.
- Santiago has a low cost of living (Average price of one bedroom apartment in the city center is $467!). This will be crucial when Tony and I are jobless wanderers.
- There are charming districts and neighborhoods in the city to live in – all with their own unique offerings!
- Santiago has great weather (at least when we plan to go in January).
- No third-world country here! Santiago is tech savvy, which is a huge plus for our entrepreneurial ambitions while on this trip.
- You do not need to obtain a visa prior to your arrival in Chile. Instead, a Tourist Card can be issued for a stay of up to 90 days…Score!
Need more reasons why Santiago is awesome? Ryan and Jen have you covered!
In the weeks to come, we will document why Santiago is bomb.com with posts covering topics such as: Culture, History, Food/Wine, Nightlife, Safety, and whatever else is important!
Unless there is a competing city that dares take the challenge, Santiago is definitely going to be our first stop…Game on.
Exhausted from traveling every week as a Business Management Consultant, I took a year off to travel at my own pace. I am a high-energy girl that loves being active, eating food, drinking wine, and exploring the world with my partner-in-crime (and husband), Tony!